Friday, January 27, 2017

Harbor, Kerteminde (BMA)

 
Harbor, Kerteminde by William H. Johnson was created with oils on burlap from 1930-1934. This piece of art reminded me of Van Gogh's "The Starry Night". Both artists used a swirling technique that causes certain objects to not be visibly clear. Johnson also used really dark colors in this painting, almost as if a storm was coming through the harbor. I also liked how even with the unclear images you can still see reflections from the boats in the water and a city out in the distance. He still kept up reality even though the image itself looks distorted and not realistic. I think the technique Johnson used is what drew my attention to the picture. It reminded me of when I go down the shore in the summers and visit the marinas with all the boats. Usually I view the bay to be calm water and the boats swaying back and forth slightly whereas Johnson appears to be showing commotion in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment