Saturday, March 25, 2017

Fractured Histories - Gallery Visit

During my visit to the Fractured Histories gallery opening I found the pottery in the room to be very intriguing. The ancient Greeks used to depict many of their beliefs and rituals onto these works of art. Not only were they created for purposeful reasons but also as a symbol of what they believed in. 
The pottery that stuck out to the me the most was the one pictured below:

At first I didn't think much of it until I got a closer look. The bottom of this vessel has two eyes. These eyes in Greek culture are said to ward off evil. I found this to be meaningful to me because I wear a hamsa necklace everyday. On the hamsa necklace it is a hand with an eye in the middle of it. This is to symbolize the hand fending off jealousy and the evil eye. In a similar sense the eyes on this vessel are also doing the same but just in a different culture. It is always cool to see that ancient history and modern day beliefs can still coincide. You still see this eye in the above picture on peoples necklaces, bracelets, keychains, etc. and it still means protection from evil. Similarly I wear the hamsa necklace for the same meaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment